The Postgraduate Program in Nursing (PEn) of the Federal University of Santa Catarina (PEn/UFSC) reached concept 6/7 (program evaluation/maximum evaluation from CAPES scale) in the most recent triennial evaluation, in 2012. It was set up in 1976, with the Master’s Course, and has offered a Doctorate Course since 1993. Regarding its breadth, the Program has consolidated its regional, national and internationally significant insertion.
In relation to social insertion and solidarity, this program has emphasized work, promoting the titling of Masters and Doctors through Expanded Courses with the REDE for the Promotion of Postgraduate Qualification of the South Region in the 1990s, with the creation of the REDE linking five Poles of the South Region with the promotor, the UFSC, namely: the Federal University of Paraná, the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, the Federal University of Santa Maria, the Federal University of Pelotas and the Federal University Foundation of Rio Grande. This movement strengthened the postgraduate area and the titling of Masters and Doctors, as well as driving the creation of APCNs (Presentations for Proposals for New Courses) in these five Poles. The development of the Postgraduate area, therefore, in the South Region is owed to the PEn/UFSC, which spared no effort to achieve the reality which is now presented as consolidated.
In relation to its international solidarity, since it was created in 1976 up to the present time, the PEn/UFSC has presented titles to:
- 17 Masters, these being: six from Peru (Narda Estela Calsin Chirinos, Gladys Amelia Velez Benito, Lita Miriam Moore Espinoza, Maria de Jesus Hernandez Rodrigues and Anita Hernandez Rodrigues and Justina Contreras Choque), two from Costa Rica (Nora Agnes Vega Villalobos and Jaime Alonso Caravaca Moreira), 01 from Argentina (Carlos Alberto Medrano), four from Portugal (Ana Filipa Marques Vieira Cascais, Jenifer Adriana Domingues Guedes, Paulo Jorge dos Santos Almeida and Pedro Miguel Garcez Sardo), one from Ecuador ( Marlene de los Angeles Segovia Herrera);
- 14 Doctors, these being: four from Colombia (Maria Marlene Montes Valverde, Marta Lucía Vasques, Clara Virginia Caro Castillo and Maria Angelica Arzuaga Salazar), two from Chile (Alejandrina Arratia Figueiroa and Maria Soledad Rivera), 01 from Costa Rica (Nora Agnes Vega Villalobos), two from Argentina (Josefa Aida Delgado and Carlos Alberto Medrano), three from Peru (Gladys Carmela Santos Falcón, Lita Miriam Moore Espinoza and Narda Estela Calsin Chirinos) and one from Uruguay (Raul Fernando Sotelo Prandoni); and
- 7 Post-doctoral students, these being five from Spain (Ana Maria Porcel Gálvez, Antonio Fernandes Martinez, Maria Angeles Garcia-Carpinero Munõz, María Aurora Rodríguez Borrego and Maria Eugenia Gil Garcia), one from Mexico (Lucila Cardenas Becerril) and one from Portugal (Maria do Céu Aguiar B. de Figueiredo).
That is, at the time of writing, 34 professionals from abroad have been given academic titles by PEn/UFSC, from nine Ibero-American countries, such as: Peru, Costa Rica, Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, Portugal and Spain. A further nine postgraduate students from overseas are currently in the process of gaining titles, with emphasis on countries such as Pakistan and Angola.
INTERNATIONALIZATION Titled: 35 masters, PhDs and postdoctoral qualifications from other countries. Currently being trained: 5 PhDs (2 from Pakistan, 1 from Peru, 1 from Colombia, 1 from Costa Rica) 4 Masters (3 from Angola and 1 from Peru) Academic Mobility from Mexico and Colombia COLOMBIA CHILE URUGUAY PERU COSTA RICA ARGENTINA PORTUGAL SPAIN PAKISTAN ANGOLA MEXICO
One important achievement was the approval through CAPES of the MINTER International of PEn/UFSC with the Universidade de Magallanes –Punta Arenas/Chile, for the titling of 20 Masters in Nursing, promoting the qualification of the area in Latin America.
Emphasis is also placed on the participation of PEn/UFSC in the CAPES Theses Award.
Of nine of the CAPES Theses Award events, the PEn received awards in five.
The CAPES Thesis Award in 2008 (3rd Event), 2011 (6th Event), 2015 (9th Event)
- Author – Nalú Pereira da Costa Kerber / Supervisor: Ana Lúcia Cardoso Kirchhof
- Thesis: Home Care and the right to health: analysis of and experience in the public health network in Brazil
- Author – Dulcinéia Ghizoni Schneider / Supervisor: Flávia Regina Souza Ramos
- Thesis: Professional discourses and moral deliberation: analysis based on ethical nursing processes.
- Author – Ana Graziela Alvarez /Supervisor: Grace Terezinha Marcon Dal Sasso
- Thesis: Persuasive technology in learning assessment of acute pain in nursing.
Honorable Mention in the years 2006 (1st Event), 2012 (7th Event) and 2014 (9th Event)
- Author – Ana Lúcia Schaeffer Ferreira de Mello / Supervisor: Alacoque Lorenzini Erdmann
- Thesis: Promoting care for oral health of the older adult: revealing contradictions in the process of care and incorporating best practices based on the context of the long-term care institutions for older adults
- Author – Gisele Cristina Manfrini Fernandes / Supervisor: Astrid Eggert Boehs
- Thesis: Routines and rituals of care in rural families in unexpected transitions following disasters
- Author – Jorge Lorenzetti / Supervisor: Francine Lima Gelbcke
- Thesis: Praxis: Management technology in hospital inpatient care units
Another relevant element is patents registered by lecturers and students of PEn/UFSC
- Year of Publication: 2014 – Financing Body: UFSC. Title: PRAXIS. Authors: Francine Lima Gelbcke, Jaçany Aparecida Borges Prudente, Jorge Lorenzetti. Registration Code: 14196-6. Date of Deposit Request: 01/10/2012. Date of Concession: 01/4/2014. Institution deposited: National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI), undertaken by the UFSC.
- Year of Publication: 2015 – Financing Body: UFSC. Title: Electronic Register of Physiotherapy for Intensive Care (REFITI). Authors: Nayala Lirio Gomes Gazola and Grace T M Dal Sasso. Purpose: Computerized Electronic Record for Physiotherapy Professionals in ICU. Registration Code: BR5115000231. Date of Deposit Request: 10/12/2014. Date of Concession: 19/03/15. Institution deposited: INPI undertaken by the UFSC.
- Year of Publication: 2016 – Financing Body: UFSC. Title: SG-COT. Authors: Maria de Lourdes de Souza, Bernardo Panerai Velloso, Carlos Alberto Leal da Costa, Tiago Burgardt. Registration Code: BR512015001016-6. Date of Deposit Request: 15/6/2015; Date of Concession: 8/3/2016. Institution deposited: INPI undertaken by the UFSC.
In order to undertake activities related to teaching, research, management and extension, the PEn achieved, on 10th May 2013, a significant extension in infrastructure for meeting the needs posed by its work, with the inauguration of the Center for Research and Technology of Health Care in Nursing and Health (CEPETEC).